Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Love of Skiing

Last Friday, I took the much deserved day off and went skiing with Ferdinand. We had a great day. We slept in (5:45 for me...yahoo!), took our time getting going in the morning, and with homemade breakfast burritos in hand, we drove up to Winter Park. We got on the mountain around 10:00 a.m. and the weather was warm. It wasn't super sunny but warm enough. We didn't really have a plan of what and where to ski on the mountain. We got to the top of Panoramic Express on the Jane side and Vasquez Cirque was open! We hiked the Cirque and had amazing snow - it was the best run of the day. We love to ski together, it is probably our favorite thing to do together. We just have so much fun! That night we went to dinner at our favorite restaurant in WP (Hernando's) with Jeremy and Lindsey. We had a great day!

On Saturday's we always ski. Ferdinand coaches the WP Freestyle team on Saturday's and I usually tag along with his group for a few runs. On this particular day he only had 2 kids out of 9 with him so I ended up skiing with him the whole day. Since the Zahrte's were in town, Jeremy skied with us while Lindsey went to pamper her preggers self at the spa. The kids that Ferdinand coaches are great skiers. They ski down bump runs without stopping and throw 180s and 360s like the pros. Jer and I had to keep up! Ferdinand and I knew that the Cirque had the best snow on the mountain and convinced everyone else that we needed to do it again. The weather was so beautiful.


Ferdinand in the middle waiting for his two kids.
The other side of the Cirque...we got there after a 1.5 mile hike. We skied in between the two darker patches of rocks/dirt.
Jeremy walking ahead. He killed it!

Ferdinand with the two kids behind. We came from the top of that dirt hill.
Ferdinand and Jeremy and one of the kids resting while waiting for the last one.
The view off the cornice from the top of the Cirque.
Not sure where Ferdinand is dropping in.

Ferdinand and one of the kids.
Jeremy and the beautiful weather!


Here is a video I took from the top. It is a little windy so I hope you can hear it.
I haven't skied the Cirque in a few years because it doesn't seem to be open when I'm there skiing. It was amazing. It is so quiet and beautiful. It is off a lift at the top of the mountain and not crowded. There isn't a chair lift where we went and you have to hike the 1.5 miles most days to the open terrain. When you are hiking it is hard not to get lost in your own thoughts. My thoughts continuously went to thinking about how blessed I am and that I can't believe this is my life. I often thank God that I'm able to have the good physical health to do the things I love. I love skiing. Words do not express my true feelings for the sport. I love pushing myself to my limits in the moguls and feeling sore the next day. I love cruising on the flats because it is so fun to watch everything fly by when you are basically standing there. I love the beauty and serenity of the outdoors. I love snow and cold and bundling up. I love my life. It was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Ferdinand doesn't look very Spanish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, if it weren't for the fact I break myself everytime I attempt winter sports that involve attaching things to my feet, I might just be inspired by this beautiful blog post to join you. So glad you had a great weekend with your hubby and the lovely mountains that are our backyard.

    ReplyDelete