Sadie turned 12 weeks yesterday and she has doubled in size since we brought her home. The vet doesn't think she'll be too big, estimating 40 lbs. or so. We had another vet visit and Sadie got more vaccinations. They are always so impressed with her behavior there, which is nice, but kind of a slap in the face for us.
This puppy parenting is harder than I thought it would be. She still wakes us up at night, still potties inside and has developed a love of biting fingers, toes, pants, and arms. I have many bruises from her little puppy teeth. It takes a ton of patience and even more love to survive through each day. Thankfully Ferdinand is more than willing to share the nightly duties with me, and even encourages me to get out of the house once he is home from work so that I can have some time away from our adorable little pup. The vet said that she should be mostly potty trained at 4 months and lately we have been seeing quite an improvement, which is encouraging.
Today I took her to puppy class. Basically it is a class for puppies under 5 months to socialize and get acclimated to saying hi to other dogs and people. She was very shy at first and the instructor had to hold her to introduce her to other puppies. Once she let her go, Sadie found a nice spot under some shelves to watch the action. By the end of the class, she was instigating play time with a Great Bernard (Great Dane, St. Bernard mix). I don't think she understands the consequences of her actions quite yet. I really liked the class and the instructor. All the other puppies were cute and their owners were very nice and helpful. Those puppies get a ton of treats while there.
After class I was able to talk with the instructor about Sadie's lovely biting problem. She gave me some tips to try and we have been working on them this afternoon. Hopefully, when you see her next, she won't be biting you!
No comments:
Post a Comment