Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Back to the Vet, Again. Ugh!


Thank goodness we have pet insurance. This is one expensive puppy. (She loves the flower/plant/bush right outside our front door.)


For the past few days Sadie has had some loose stools (sorry, but it is true). This is not normal. She is usual a very regular gal. I called the vet on Tuesday and they said to give her plain chicken and rice for a few days to see if that settles her stomach. I did that starting on Wednesday morning for breakfast. About five minutes after breakfast she started dry-heaving and possibly vomiting (she was swallowing a lot...again, sorry, but true). She also slept all morning, which is not normal either. I called the vet and they said bring her in.

Sean thought there could be two things going on, Giardia or some other type of bacterial infection caused by the raw hides she inhaled last weekend, or something is blocking her intestines and GI tract. He did an exam and he didn't think it was a blockage, so we didn't have to do xrays (good thing, I'm sure those are expensive). He had to do some lab work on her stool (unfortunately for him, I didn't have any to give) and we are waiting the call right now to find out if it is Giardia or some other type of bacterial infection.

How does he think she got Giardia? Well, our lovely little girl loves poop. Her favorite is elk poop, but last weekend in Fraser she found some hare poop. No not rabbit poop, we have seen two hares on the property up there and they are no little bunny fu fu. I guess any types of wild animal poop can carry Giardia. She has already started antibiotics for whatever infection she may have.

In case anyone is counting, that is 4 vet trips in 5 weeks. Here's hoping we don't have to go back until the last week in July for her next round of vaccinations.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Sadie! Belle had Giardia a few years ago. She got it from drinking out of Clear Creek when it first started running. Hope she feels better soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, like Lindsey said, they can get it from lots of places. They don't actually have to eat poop to get it. Although, it sure doesn't help.

    As new to the world as she is, she sure is full of little "lessons" for her owners, isn't she?

    Are you having fun yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! I feel your pain! Hang in there. She's super cute :)

    ReplyDelete