Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

A Decision Has Been Made

Basically since the day we found out we were going to be having a baby we have been discussing our living arrangements.  We both owned condos when we got married and we live in the one I own and rent out Ferdinand's condo.  The condo we currently live in has one bedroom/one bath and has been on the market for almost a year.  We have had a small handful of showings and we dropped the price in April.  If we were to sell we would buy a house.  Ferdinand's condo has 2 bedrooms/1 bath and will be coming off a lease at the end of June.  With the sale of my condo not looking promising we had to look at some options.
A few weeks ago we resigned to the idea that we would move into Ferdinand's condo and rent my condo.  Neither of us were liking this option as his condo is across town from where we work and we really like the location of my condo better.  We would also be losing money if we did this because we wouldn't be able to get enough rent to cover my mortgage payment on my condo.  I prayed about this decision constantly.  I just wanted to make sure we were making the right decision for our family.  I prayed that we would be at peace with our decision and if it wasn't the right decision He should let me know as soon as possible.  We even drove over to the other condo to try and become more positive about our decision.  We discussed what the set up would be like over there and how all of our things would all fit.  We even drove around looking for places to walk Sadie.  While Ferdinand's condo is a two bedroom, it lacks quite a bit of storage space and storage options.  My condo has a pantry, linen closet, and laundry room.  Ferdinand's kitchen is half the size of mine, has a laundry closet with no room besides a stack-able washer/dryer, and has very limited space to add storage (shelves etc.).
As I was doing laundry on Saturday morning it hit me that we would really be giving up a ton of storage including where to put the laundry detergent, but we had made our decision and I was trying to stay positive.  I went to bed on Saturday night almost in tears thinking about moving to Ferdinand's condo.  Every time I thought about it I became instantly grumpy.  It was going to take a lot more than a positive attitude to make me happy living there.
I woke up on Sunday morning and the first thing that popped in my head was, "We should not move.  We should stay here."  I looked around our bedroom as I was laying there and I began thinking how this could all work.  Then I remembered I have been wanting to add shelves to the laundry room (well, step-daddy-dearest actually adds those things for me!) which would add more storage. 
Ferdinand took Sadie out for a walk and while he was gone I was concocting up a strategy to tell him my new ideas and I really needed him to agree.  You see, once Ferdinand has a plan it is really difficult to get him to change his plan.  I told him he was not allowed to say anything until he heard me out and when I was done he said, "I agree, let's stay here."  And then he said, "Didn't I say this in the very beginning?"  Yes, yes you did. 
The problem with most women is that we dream of someday decorating a baby's room.  I was so excited about decorating a baby's room that I insisted we have a separate bedroom for the baby.  Pinterest doesn't help with this dream one bit.  I am completely fine with putting off decorating a baby's room that the baby won't even remember if it means I will be happier staying in our one bedroom condo.
As we began to think about our final decision we noticed so many positives:  1.  We actually will be gaining money because we will be able to raise the rent at Ferdinand's place.  2.  More room for the baby's things.  3.  We will be closer to work and there are more daycare options right by our work and home.  4.  This mama will be much happier.  5.  Less change for Sadie because let's face it, she might have the hardest time adjusting to sharing our attention than anyone.
After our discussion on Sunday morning we went for a hike which is where we tend to make all sorts of plans and schemes.  Ferdinand is so set on making room for the baby that he insisted we stop by the hardware store on our way home from the hike to buy more shelves for the garage.  Then we came home and he got straight to work reorganizing the garage.  Here are the before and after pictures:


Before...The white boxes on the left will not be staying because they are his old wheels he is trying to sell.  The microwave and small refrigerator (with stickers) will not be staying either because they normally go in my classroom.

After.  He is great at organizing!  The new shelves are on the left.

Today he has been cleaning out his things in our closet, he was given strict orders not to touch my things!  I'll do that this summer thankyouverymuch!


So, the final decision has been made, although we will keep my condo on the market through the fall and if it sells we will buy a house.  Pray that it sells please!
Also, living here with the baby is temporary.  We will be moving next May no matter what.  I'm so thankful for answered prayers and clarity.  I have much more peace in my heart now.

1 comment:

  1. The Pinterest comment made me laugh :) I'm not even pregnant and I think I could give anyone a detailed account of what my nursery would look like if I were :D Glad the mama is happy!!!

    ReplyDelete