Did you know that the term 'Bluebird Day' is actually a skiing term?
Ok, I know I haven't posted in a LONG time. But it's not my fault. Ya see, in the winter, something takes over me. It is called skiing. I'm so busy during the ski season. I work all week, with 6th graders (the best age group in the world), and then I ski all weekend. This leaves no time to clean, shop for groceries or even to do laundry much less post a blog. I, an extreme extrovert, become very non-social during the winter months. It's not my fault. It's the ski season. Then, after ski season, I come out of my shell. I start calling everyone I know and I say, "Hey, remember me? Your long lost friend? Let's have a drink!"
The end of ski season is upon us. We have two weekends left. This week it snowed a ton in the mountains and this weekend it is supposed to be warm and 'bluebird.' I decided to take tomorrow off from work (basically Ferdinand begged and I obliged). Ferdinand claims that tomorrow will be the best day of the season. He just may be correct.
When I was telling other teachers and staff in our building about taking the day off to ski because it would be a 'bluebird' day, they didn't understand. I learned this week that the term bluebird day is a skiing term. I have been referring to blue sky days as bluebird for as long as I can remember. I had no idea that it was a skiing term. Interesting. Where does this term come from?
My teammate, a fellow intense skier, and I pondered this question. He claims that a bluebird day means blue sky and powder - no groomers. I added to that and said blue sky, powder and warm weather. We determined that a bluebird day means blue sky, great company and great snow.
Tomorrow is predicted to be a bluebird day. Ferdinand is claiming it will be the best day of the season. We have plans to leave fairly early for a spring Friday morning. We plan to hike the Cirque at 10:00 a.m. when the gate opens....Hopefully I'll have pictures to show you what really defines a bluebird day.
I apoligize. I did not see this post when I was giving you a hard time:) Now you need to post the pictures of the Bluebird Day so the rest of us will finally know. An was it the best day of skiing for the season? Was Ferdinand correct?
ReplyDelete