Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ch Ch Changes

Wow, there are a lot of changes happening at my school next year. 1. I'm moving to 6th grade. 2. We are getting another new principal, 5th principal in 7 years. 3. Three retirees and at least 3 other teachers leaving on their own; meaning, they sought out a different job in the district. Before I get to my thoughts and feelings about these changes I need to take you back to the beginning.



Seven years ago I was working at an energy company and bored with life. I was not meant to spend my life in a cubicle, in front of a computer and doing a monotonous job. I decided that I needed a change so I went back to school to get my masters in education. Before I started my masters program I volunteered at the school I currently teach. I was blown away when I volunteered because the teaching and learning that was happening was phenomenal. This school was known in the district for being a very high performing school and I saw why. The school had a very good reputation. I now know that the school had a good reputation in the district because of the awesomeness that is Kathy Frank, the principal who has since retired. She would tell anyone who listened what great teachers her school had.



My first year teaching I really wanted to be back at this school, but I was offered a job at another school first. Thank goodness because I was able to meet Ferdinand through that first teaching assignment. Everything happens for a reason! I was able to get back to this awesome school my second year of teaching. The school had a new principal and I was basically the only new teacher added to the staff. That was a good year. Since that year, 4 years ago, we have been through 3 principals, special ed. staff seeks out other teaching opportunities, and the morale is down. Because we have had so many principals, the teachers are feeling like they are the leaders. Well, as you can imagine that is too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Not to mention we aren't trained to make decisions, communicate correctly and clearly, and it is not in our job description. Needless to say, our school does not have a good reputation anymore and it is in a horrible state. I'm so sad about the state of the school. I wanted to be at this school so badly because I thought it was amazing, and it was. I know that one person is not to blame for this. I know it isn't just the leadership. However, I want to be excited to go to work again. I love teaching, it is what I was born to do. I know it. I'm unhappy these days not only because of the school climate, but also because I'm teaching the wrong grade for me. I feel like a better teacher with the older kids. I need to feel like a good teacher again.



I spent the day today in the 6th grade classrooms to get questions answered and to get a feel for a typical day. It was so reaffirming. I'm so excited to be back with the older kids. I also met our new principal today. My first impression was that she was very friendly, knowledgeable, and seems like she'll get decisions made. I'm excited that we are getting a principal that has experience as an elementary principal in our district for 6 years. Since Kathy Frank, we haven't had a principal that had experience prior to being at our school. I think this is a great change and hopefully our school will start going in the right direction. This week I also found out that 2 of our special ed. teachers are leaving our school. I know them both and have a great working relationship with both. One of them is even my close friend. I know why they sought out a different position in the district, they get no respect. I could go on and on about this subject, especially since they have only been at our school for 3 years and the last people in their positions felt the same way - disrespected. This makes me sad for our school. We are loosing 2 amazing teachers because of the way they were treated. What does that say about the people at our school? How and when did the integrity get lost? I'm excited for both of these women who are leaving and I wish them all the best, they have great beginnings ahead of them.



I'm not complaining about these things just to complain. I'm writing because my heart is in this school. I wanted to be there from the beginning of my career. I believe that if you are going to complain then you should do something about it. I would apply somewhere else, but there aren't many jobs in the district these days due to budget cuts. I like change and I think change can be healthy. I'm hoping that these changes will be healthy for our school and for myself. I'm excited for what the next school year brings...if only I can get through the next 5 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog Megs and I totally feel you! I'm excited for you for next year, I know you'll do great things in 6th grade. Remember, you are one of the reasons I am teaching today, because I got to spend a day in your room with those fifth graders and loved it. Can't wait to see you in June!

    ReplyDelete